Thursday, October 7, 2010

My First (Warm-Weather) Beach Vacation!

In my nearly 3 years of life, despite having a whole side of my family from Florida, I had never, ever seen a beach before. Sure, I'd been to the coast of Scotland and the shore in Mendocino, California, but it's not the beach when you have to wear an anorak and boots, right? (Daddy realized the need for a beach vacation was urgent when I started calling the stony bank of the creek in our park "the beach," and the creek "the ocean.")

So in mid-September, we packed everyone up, including my two-month-old baby sister, and drove down to the islands near Charleston, SC. (Incidentally, we stayed at the hotel where Mommy and Daddy honeymooned 9 years ago!)

Part of the rationale for Charleston was the low-country dining. Here Daddy and I are playing while we wait for a table at the ultra-yummy Hominy Grill.
We spent a lot of time in our room because it was so nice and peaceful. Mommy took advantage of some quiet time to read to us girls. After "Ginger Finds A Home," next up is some choice essay by David Sedaris.
Ivy got all dolled up to dip her tootsies in the ocean! (And she pee-peed in the bed right after this photo was taken, but don't tell anyone)
She can be pretty lazy especially when she gets into beach mode.
See what I mean? Sleeping everywhere.
The pool was awesome and Daddy and I loved going under the bridge together.
We also set up camp on the beach.

Ivy seemed to enjoy our beach shelter. She spent a lot of time there while I was riding the waves.Daddy loved the chance to unwind in a place that felt normal.
And I loved doing CARTWHEELS!
This is how I achieve my Sand Monster look. Fierce, isn't it?
I was especially fond of this fallen palm trunk, which I called "The Big Snake."
I built this sandcastle in the foreground. Ivy was sleeping again. Lazy baby.
The sunsets were beautiful.
And they made a shadow family of us!
My favorite part was riding the waves with my Daddy. It was much easier after Hurricane Igor went bye-bye.

I picked you some flowers!
And I figured out the foot shower all by myself!

No comments: