Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Words (18 mos)

Almost overnight I've dropped my sign language and pointing in favor of big-people words. Mommy started writing them down about 8 months ago but she can't keep up anymore -- she stopped documenting them at around 350 words a couple of weeks ago. I have found that people understand me best when I repeat myself, like this: "Ow-dide? Ow-dide? Ow-dide? Ow-dide? Ow-dide?" (Can we go outside?) or "Bye. Bye. Bye. Bye. Bye. See yuh." (Leave me alone, I'm fine).

Sometimes I say lots of words I know one right after the other, like this: "Mia Mommy eat mmmm yutch ah-gay?" (Amelia and Mommy eat mmmm lunch okay?) or "Beet-cha aih yuck eeew bustch?" (Besha hair yuck eew brush?") or "Dayee poon bork cook ek ah-gay?" (Daddy spoon fork cook egg okay)?

Here are some other choice words and phrases...

Yoga (yoko) -- I bring Mommy an exercise DVD (or sometimes a compelling drama) and get out our special sticky mat, then do all my poses, including arm stretching, down-facing dog, cobra, cat, and cow poses. And some jumping too.

Mango (mahko) -- I like the freeze-dried kind better than fresh, because I can have one piece in each hand (and I can say "1, 2!")

Bob stroller (Bobby) -- Bob is our big orange stroller. I add an affectionate "ee" ending to our Bob, and to lots of other things -- cuppee, upee, wipee, cheesee.

Pizza mmm (beeta mmm) -- Mommy makes beeta mmm for us every Friday. It is one of my favorite foods!

Caterpillar (capawihwuh) - I am very into bugs, especially flies and bees (both of which I call "bee"), but capawihwuhs are my favorite.

Cross the street (cah teet) -- I know I'm not supposed to go in the street by myself but sometimes something really exciting is happening across the street. So I stick up my hand for Mommy or Daddy to grab and say the magic words...

Carry you (cah you) - I say this when I am tired of walking and want someone to pick me up.

Laundry (yawdee) and vacuum (baku) -- these words make Mommy really happy.

"Our" (ah) everything -- "Our car," "our ball," "our bag," "our cup," "our Bobby" -- I am implementing a policy of sharing everything at my house.

"No no no miiiiiiine" -- Haha, gotcha with that "our" business, didn't I?



1 comment:

chels said...

Hey Miss Amelia! How the heck are ya? I see that you have been a busy bee growing and learning (and USING) new words! That must be so exciting!

I'm sorry we couldn't hang out this weekend, but I promise we'll find another time to catch up!

You take it easy, peasy!
WUD